Re: Mutt tty problems on Mac OS X 10.5.4 and mutt 1.5.18

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:38:53PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 19 at 03:02 PM, quoth felix@xxxxxxxxxxx:
> > Using a standard Terminal with the default TERM value of xterm

> First, in your Terminal Preferences, you need to make sure that it's
> allowed to "Use bold fonts" and is allowed to "Display ANSI colors".
> Second, check out what encoding you're using, make sure your LANG
> environment variable is correct.
>
> And finally, set TERM to something useful. "xterm-color" is better, so
> is "dtterm", both of which can be selected from the pop-up in the
> Advanced tab of your terminal settings panel, but the best TERM
> setting for Apple's Terminal is one of the nsterms (get it? NeXTStep
> Term = nsterm). I use nsterm-16color, and I have a custom
> nsterm-16color termcap file (search the archives, I posted how to
> create and install just such a beast).

Those were already set.  I'll go look for those nsterm entries, maybe
that will help.  I ried every choice --

    ansi
    dtterm
    rxvt
    vt52
    vt100
    vt102
    xterm
    xterm-color

The only difference was white text on a black background (ugh), so I
settled on vt102 for now.  Here is a copy and paste of sample bogus
lines.  The first is what I sent, the second is the copy (allstaff
expands to, well, everybody), and the third is a response.  Yet all
three look like the first one once you open up the message itself.  I
don't think they are picture chars, since search for capital T finds
the Ts.

   F 0.2K Aug 18 To allstaff  Pies
   F 0.8K Aug 18 To allstaff  ?~T~\=>
   + 0.7K Aug 18 Karen        ?~T~T?~T~@>

I poked around trying to find /etc/termcapp and /etc/terminfo, no
luck.  There are others elsewhere, but Terminal seems to have a very
limited subset of terminal types, so I didn't put any more time into
them.

I have been using mutt for who knows how many years now.  I have
sometimes had problems on other systems, real Unixes, and had to
switch among xterm, rxvt, and vt100 in both xterm and rxvt to find
working combinations.  I may end up having to install the real xterm
or rxvt here too, but I'd prefer to customize this PC as little as
possible like that.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@xxxxxxxxxxx
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933