Mutt tty problems on Mac OS X 10.5.4 and mutt 1.5.18

I have a relatively new Max Pro Book (Book Pro?) running OS X 10.5.4
and mutt 1.5.18.  Using a standard Terminal with the default TERM
value of xterm, mutt has a terrible time displaying, with two symptom
that I have seen:

1.  Re: Subject: headers show up in the summary display as lots of ~T
    with a few other line noise chars thrown in for good measure.  The
    original message which starts the thread has its Subject: displayed
    properly.  I don't think it is the replies being garbled or in
    some other character set because all Subject: headers look fine
    when I read the actual message.  This is always repeatable.

2.  When you hit SPACE to read the body of a message, then finish and
    "q" back to the summary listing, sometimes the previous message
    display does not clear first and the summary is simply written on
    top of it, requiring ^L to clean up the summary listing.  This is
    only sometimes, not always, and I have tried changing TERM to
    vt100 with no effect (it is the default xterm).

I have other machines I ssh into and use mutt on them and never have
seen these problems, either using ssh on this Mac or on other computers.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@xxxxxxxxxxx
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933