smime_keys init doesn't create directories

I'm using the mutt 1.5.17 package on ubuntu 8.04.  I have a thawte email
certificate I'm trying to use with mutt.  About the first thing in the
smime readme is to "smime_keys init", which should create the ~/.smime/
set of directories and subdirectories I have in my .muttrc.

Unfortunately, no directories or the .index files are created.  I
threw some print statements in the smime_keys perl script, and it looks
like it's getting all the correct variables.  I'm not a perlmonger, so
I'm not sure how to change the script for force it to really create the
files and directories it needs.  Also, since it's not working quite
right, if I make the files by hand, I don't know why the script isn't
working, so it may break further when I need it.

Has anyone else ran into where smime_keys init doesn't init, and fixed
it?  Thanks for the help.

--
Andrew Diederich