inaccurate estimates of message size

Hello,

Mutt (always has for me) made extremely inaccurate estimates of how big my
email messages are.  Often off by a factor of 5.  Why is this?  Is it maybe not
mutt's fault, but the IMAP servers I interact with?  On the one hand, I hope
it's the servers' fault, because mutt is great.  On the other hand, I hope it's
mutt's fault, because then maybe something can eventually be done about it.

Example: I open my INBOX, and there's a message that mutt says is 6.3K.  I open
the message, and return to the inbox.  Now mutt says it's 0.3K.  It's a message
with 5 words in the body and no attachments.  Then, I quit mutt, and fire it up
again.  Mutt says 6.3K again!

Mutt also does this with attachments.  Say I want to attach a PDF that I know
for a fact is of size 125K.  I attach it in the compose window, and immediately
mutt says that it's of size, say, 193K. (Sometimes mutt adds only several K,
usually lots).  What's going on?  Is mutt doing something to the PDF?
-gmn