Re: Mutt hangs, Network Issue?

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:09:07PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> > What should a functional control-z tell me?
>
> If control-Z works, your transport (ssh) and terminal are still
> fundamentally intact, and responsive to low-level traffic and
> out-of-band signals.  (It means that mutt is responsive to signals too,
> for that matter -- once it receives them.)  Does mutt work again once
> you bring it back to foreground, or does it remain hung?  If it hangs,
> and you type a bunch of stuff followed by control-Z, and then foreground
> mutt, does all the stuff you typed suddenly appear to execute at once?
> Does it appear to have already executed long ago?  Or is it ignored?

I'll have to dig more into this later ... The two occasions I've done
this, there was some delay with mutt responding. But once it did, it
acted perfectly normal.

There have been times when mutt doesn't respond, I'll hit a few keys,
and after a while maybe it comes back to life, and maybe it doesn't.
But, because I'm hugely impatient, I typically just kill the mutt
process, and wait for that to bring back a prompt.

BTW, I'm at home now. Looks like mutt died. The ssh session is still
up. The last 30 or 40 lines of the debug log are like ....

mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[613]: Got op -1

It just occurred to me, that when I ssh in from home, I don't seem to
have this problem. Obviously same version of mutt. Same configs. But I
tend not to leave the home sessions open all the time so a little hard
to tell.

> at an exact moment that it appears hung, but it's quite possible that
> it's just waiting for input that's simply not arriving.  The logs
> will tell what it *has* been doing up until that, but it might not be
> anything special.

Thanks, I may get into this more.

> Honestly this has the feel of an ordinary session timeout at the network
> level, which wouldn't be surprising.  But you said that it happens only
> with mutt, and not even with an idle shell.  That's what seems strange
> to me.

My feeling all along is that it is more network related than anything.
But mutt is somehow triggering something screwy. I am still convinced
the router change is one of the pieces of the puzzle. And I never have
a problem with other terminals that are opened to the same server.

Thanks for the help!

--
Hal Burgiss