Re: sendmail_wait for smtp ?

On 05/17/08 16:53, Dylan Stamat wrote:

> Is there any way to background this ?  Something like sendmail_wait=-1,
> but for smtp ?  Waiting for mail to send can be time consuming.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but use msmtp to send through
an SMTP server of my ISP using

set sendmail = "/usr/bin/msmtp -a default"

and I've recently discovered

set sendmail_wait = -1

and it works like a charm. The only problem is I don't get error
messages in the rare event that there's a problem so I've written
a shell script to periodically check the mail logs (*):

http://promberger.info/linux/2008/04/13/shell-script-to-check-mail-logs-periodically/

On the laptop, I'm in fact using this with a script that does a mail
queue with msmtp that I found somewhere online:

http://promberger.info/linux/2008/04/11/mutt-with-msmtp-and-a-mail-queue/

m.

(*) There practically never is a problem unless I've fiddled with the
config file to try new stuff. IIRC, if you have "set record", mutt
stores a "sent" copy regardless of whether the mail went out or not,
so you could just reuse that if there was a problem.