Re: utf-8 problems continued

On 19.03.08 15:29:20, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:14:43PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:
> > On 19 Mar 2008 15:02 +0000, by cl@xxxxxxxx (Chris G):
> > > Does something, somewhere *guess* the character set from the stream of
> > > characters it sees?
> >
> > Mutt looks at the message and picks the first charset from
> > $send_charset that allows an exact encoding.
> >
> > http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#send-charset
> >
> Well it's not a very good way of guessing then!  :-)

Huh? Your mail included no non-ascii characters so using us-ascii is
just fine. Which encoding your mail has doesn't need to be dictated by
the encoding your system uses. My own system is utf-8 since a long time,
but mails are always sent out in the "smallest" encoding (us-ascii,
latin1, utf-8 ... in that ordeR)

Thats actually quite common among good mail clients.

Andreas

--
If you think last Tuesday was a drag, wait till you see what happens tomorrow!