Re: mail directory

* Kumar Appaiah <akumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-03-07 21:04]:
> > I want to deliver the mail to my local directory by specifiy the
> > MAILDIR=$HOME/Email/Mailbox/Inbox in .procmailrc, and calling
> > "procmail -d Inbox" in .fetchmailrc. But, the procmail aleays deliver
> > the mail to /var/mail. What was I missing ...?
>
> Try this:
>
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Email/Mailbox
>
> :0:
> Inbox
>
> And call just procmail. But, as said, this is a Mutt list, but I
> couldn't resist suggesting.

good for you, but it still will not work.

MAILDIR is a variable (*usually* set to where you store your mail, not
   where mail is delivered)
procmail delivers to $DEFAULT, not $MAILDIR

on *my* system
DEFAULT = /var/spool/mail/{USER}
MAILDIR = $HOME/mail

mail which matches *no* recipe falls thru to $DEFAULT
mail *matching* a recipe is *normally* delivered to $MAILDIR/<some-folder>

procmail is a "Local Delivery Agent", LDA
mutt is an email client/reader+

MAILDIR="$HOME/Email/Mailbox"
DEFAULT="$MAILDIR/Inbox"

:0:
* .*
Inbox

With the above vars, the recipie is supervulous as the mail will be
delivered to $DEFAULT anyway (note that all recipies *require* a
condition), but:

:0:
* ^Sender.*mutt.org
$MAILDIR/mutt.users

will deliver mutt-list mail to $HOME/Email/Mailbox/mutt.users, and all
*other* mail to $HOME/Email/Mailbox/Inbox

and we are back on-topic, mutt
- --