Re: sending all postponed emails at once

On 26Oct2007 14:52, Joseph <syscon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a way to postpone / delay sending emails till the connection is
> established?
> I was thinking of using mutt with that new OpenMoko phone which is due in
> December :-/
> so I was thinking if there is a way of sending postponed emails all at
> once.
> I know mutt has a way to postpone emails but they are not sent out until I
> re-call them one by one, am I correct?
> I want to send all postponed email once the connection with Internet is
> established by dial-up and/or wifi

You could run a real mail system on the phone (postfix, qmail etc).
I find postfix a little more friendly than qmail for configuration,
but qmail is probably smaller.
Use that for your mail dispatch instead of SMTP to some ISP.
This has the advantage that it will happily queue on the phone
and deliver when possible.

Mutt itself does not have this kind of queuing, which properly
belongs in the mail system.

Configuring the mail system to deliver may be a little problematic
(though all the problems apply just as well to anything you'd try to make
mutt or another mail reader do anyway).

If you can relay on delivering via "mail" or "smtp" on whatevery wifi
LAN you connect to, you could do that. You need to trust such things of
course.

You could configure it for direct/native SMTP delivery.
You may hit black hole listings when doing this for a roaming device; several
places refuse SMTP from "dynamic" IP ranges - ranges known to be issued to
roaming or home networks.

You could have an ssh tunnel with a port forward for SMTP, to a known host
you control which has a working email system. Have a tiny shell script with
the ssh incantation to start the tunnel. Run "postfix flush" when the tunnel
is up, possibly from the same script.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It has been observed that one's nose is never so happy as when it is thrust
into the affairs of another, from which some physiologists have drawn the
inference that the nose is devoid of the sense of smell.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), U.S. author. The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906).