Problems with mutt and POP

At present, mail is delivered to ~user/mbox on the same box
that we all log into for our normal computation.
We are shortly due to split the mail function off to a
dedicated mailer (running dovecot), and users will then
have to retrieve their email by imap or pop from it.

Pop would seem to give us an easy way of keeping our
mail folders on the local login machine, just as we
have at present, and to just retrieve the new stuff
from the new mailer.
I've been experimenting with mutt using pop on the
new system, and have a problem:

I cant get it to automatically delete read mail from the
remote spoolfile. It wont even prompt me with a yes-no option.
I've tried setting pop_delete and/or delete to 'yes'
and 'ask-yes' but no joy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

My .muttrc is:

set pop_delete = yes
set askcc = yes
set use_domain = no
###set confirmappend = no
set editor = "nano -w"
set sort = reverse-date-received
###set delete = yes
set folder = ~/mail
###set spoolfile = ~/mbox
set spoolfile = pop://tsh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
set mbox = =r
set print = ask-yes
set print_command = "a2ps -1 -f8.0 -o - | lpr -Plaser1"
set record = =s
####mailboxes ~/mbox =s =r =DELETED
###set move = yes
set include = yes
#these macros define:
#    the key 'd' to mean 'put the message into the DELETED folder'
#    the key 'D' to mean 'throw the message away'
#thus 'D' is the way to delete a single message from the DELETED folder
#(rather than delete the whole folder)
macro index "d" <save-message>=DELETED<enter><enter>
macro index "D" <delete-message>