Re: Procmail

On 14Oct2007 13:11, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| * Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx> [10-14-07 12:43]:
| > Am 2007-10-09 21:06:32, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
| > > Do you have something afterwards altering $MAILDIR,
| > > AND
| > > your procmail *path* variables should be quoted:
| >
| > I am usung procmail since ober 8 years and have never quoted it.
|
| Which certainly doesn't mean or imply that *you* are correct.  This
| advise *is* offered by knowledgable individuals on the procmail list.

Who seem to be superstitious, or not shell experts. "man procmailrc"
says:

  The assignments and substitutions of these  environment  variables
  are handled  exactly  like  in sh(1)

And in the shell, you don't need to quote assignments unless you have
_literal_ whitespace etc in the values. For example:

  x="a c"       # needs quoting so `c' is not a command
  y=$x          # does _not_ need quoting

This is perfectly reliable, and the second line doesn't need quotes.

Maybe you can supply a reproducable counterexample to demonstrate the
need to for quotes.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I don't waste my money; I invest it in ventures with high negative returns.