Re: Procmail

On 2007.10.09 18:23:23 +0000, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> On Tuesday, October  9 at 05:15 PM, quoth Joseph:
> >If you have mbox it should be:
> >:0:
> >* ^From:.*user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >$HOME/Mail/user
>
> In case it's not clear, the reason to use .* instead of just a space
> is that the way From headers are typically sent is like this:
>
>      From: <user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> or
>
>      From: User Name <user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ...and so you can have lots of cruft in between the "From:" and the
> email address EVEN IF MUTT DOESN'T SHOW IT TO YOU. Mutt makes the From
> header look a little prettier than the raw email, and that can be
> deceptive. :)
>
> If you want to see the email in the form that procmail does, try
> pressing the e key in mutt when you view a message (don't save any
> inadvertent changes when you close your editor, though!).
>
> ~Kyle

My thanks again to both of you.  Creating my .procmailrc recipe in the
manner suggested by Joseph did the trick.  What I don't understand is
that since the variable MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail exists at the beginning of
.procmailrc why is it necessary to state the full path to the target mailbox in
the recipe?

Rem