Is it possible to change mbox_type depending on where one is saving a message?

I'd like to save messages in different formats (maildir or mbox)
depending on where I'm saving them.  I.e. I have one hierarchy of
(mostly temporarily) saved messages which I would like to be saved in
mbox format and a separates hierarchy where messages are saved in
maildir format.

I can't see any obvious way of doing this (with hooks or whatever), am
I missing something obvious or is there no easy way of doing this?

I can get a fair portion of what I want by having quite a few of the
mailboxes created before mutt accesses them but occasionally in both
the temporary hierarchy and the permanent hierarchy I want to create
new folders from within mutt and then it's mbox_type that will specify
what format is used.

--
Chris Green