Re: [solved] Wildcard pattern matching issue - bug or workaround?

=- D. North wrote on Tue 24.Jul'07 at 17:42:31 -0500 -=

> Matt Okeson-Harlow wrote:
>   >I think you need to wrap your regexp in ' '
>   >ie
>   >    color index brightyellow black "~b '\ name.{0,9}\=.{2,30}\.zip'"
>
> Thanks Matt! --- That's what I was looking for.

Ah good, I was worried you had to wait for me to answer. ;)

On the wiki see "PatternQuoting" page to better understand how it
works, see also "DebugConfig" for quoting in general.
 Also have another go at rtfm, the new version has new "=" patterns
in addition to "~", that's why "=" is special now (quoting required)
while it wasn't before (extra quoting optional).

> { quoted space }
> Older versions of mutt were simply dropping that part of the
> pattern. With the new quoting, that part now became significant
> and the pattern didn't match anything -- easily fixed now.

Ouhm?!
 PatternQuoting processing hasn't changed for spaces among mutt
versions, you've just been lucky the space was ignored previously
with the less quoted variant, i.e. it was sufficient for the special
chars but irrelevant for the space on that quoting level.