Re: OT: offending sig + headers

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:36:35PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> Actually I don't think spam management is off topic, and even if it
> were I'm not on mutt-ot and not going to sign up.  It's completely
> natural that off-topic discussions arise from on-topic threads on
> mailing lists, and I think trying to reroute them is largely pointless
> and a bit misguided.  I don't think it should be discouraged until a
> particular thread reaches the level of being annoying.  In my
> experience, trying to reroute threads mostly just kills a potentially
> interesting thread, which usually is at least marginally related
> anyway.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on this list who thinks
> that way.  Anyway...

I use greylisting, and it's pretty darned effective. I use my "real"
address on public mailing lists, personal correspondance, etc., and I
still get only a small amount of spam. You're probably aware of
greylisting already. The reason I bring it up is that it's a spam
fighting technique that doesn't make suspected spam disappear, but
disallows delivery. So a false positive means someone gets a bounce,
which alerts them to the problem.

For your current setup, you might consider adding a reply-to header
pointing at the list so that mails don't go to the bogus address by
default for humans. Just a small concession to the people on the other
end, and it doesn't hurt your protection at all...

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/