Re: Locale problem and sent index

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 11:34:08PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

> > Hmmm.  When viewed in Mutt, I see a multibyte, centered dot, but in
> > my editor (nvi-m17n) I see an "a:", a multibyte character that looks
> > like an "a" with two dots above it.
[...]
>  Allowing for the vagaries of fonts, (to me, it looks an "a with
> ring above"), this sounds as if nvi-m17n is the problem.

The problem with this particular glyph is my poor eyesight.  Looking more
closely, it does indeed appear to be a "lower case 'a' with a flattened ring
above it."

> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

Here is exactly the same problem: a multibyte, centered dot, no different
from 'å', when I read the the mail in mutt, and a multibyte that looks like
a lower case 'o' with a horizontal line above it in $editor, nvi-m17n, as I
compose this reply.

Personally, I _guess_ the "problem" is that iconv can only handle "textbook"
charset conversions, whereas nvi-m17n has finely tuned heuristics to handle
the myriad of exceptions/abuses prevalent in "real-world" Japan.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/