Re: Best way to handle DOS newlines

Hello Markus, Ray,

 On Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 7:48:18 +0200, Markus Maria Miedaner wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 05:59:43PM -0700, you (Ray Van Dolson) wrote:
>> DOS/Windows newlines instead of Unix ones. All the text shows up as
>> one large line interspersed with ^M^M's.

    Are you sure those are not Mac newlines? DOS newlines display lines
ending in one ^M.

>> However, if I hit reply to this message, everything shows up in vim
>> in the original format

    Indeed $display_filter acts only on pager display, not on the quoted
template passed to $editor when replying.

> my suggestion is to use iconv instead of your script.

    Iconv is a tool to convert characters encoding (AKA charsets), not
EOL encoding. I fear that won't do it, unfortunately.

Bye!    Alain.
--
How to Report Bugs Effectively
<URL:http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>