Re: when replying, use envelope recipient

From: Travis H. <travis+ml-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 01:00:14PM -0600
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:43:03AM -0800, William Yardley wrote:
> > Actually, as I said before, Delivered-To (with Postfix) is the FINAL
> > recipient (i.e., whatever the envelope-recipient expands to).
> >
> > With modern versions of Postfix, X-Original-To is what you're looking
> > for.
>
> I see.  So it's easy enough to filter for this line and print it out in
> an external script.  The question I have is, how do I invoke it from mutt,
> and how do I get mutt to populate the from line with the results?

I solved it like this:

procmail rewrites the original X-Original-To header into X-Label.
This is accessible in .muttrc as %y, so .muttrc adds a custom header to
each out-going message Sent-To: %y, and sets 'edit_headers' to yes.

Then my editor wrapper script reads Sent-To, converts that in to From:
and everybody is happy.

It's a lot of work, but it works just fine.

I mostly use it when some site nags about an email address, to register
or something. I give out long emailaddresses at my own domain, but in
rare cases, I want to respond using

why_did_you_ask_this_email_address_i_dont_want_to_be_spammed@mydomain

which can be solved as written above.

It would be mutt's way of doing things, I suppose, to make the header
from which %y is filled configurable.

Hope this helps,
Jurriaan
--