Re: view all attachments as one

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 04:42:45PM +0000, homemr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:15:07PM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
> >  How do I configure (.mailcap) to make the application detach
> >  from the mutt process?

> You can get mutt_bgrun from the internet and use it in your .mailcap.
> application/pdf;            mutt_bgrun xpdf %s ; copiousoutput

You can also use:

application/pdf;  sh -c "exec xpdf %s > /dev/null 2>&1 &" & ; copiousoutput

If you don't background (&) it twice, it will remain as a child process
of mutt, and if mutt doesn't reap it when it exits, will zombify and
take up a process table slot unnecessarily.  By having it spawned as a
grandchild, when its parent exits, it will become an orphan and being
a somewhat maternal program, init will inherit it, and arrange for a
proper ceremony when it dies.