Re: Sending mail via POP3.

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:36:37AM -0500, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> fetchmail to download the mail from a POP3 or IMAP server into files
> that mutt can read. When you send mail, mutt sends it to a server
> running on the localhost. That server then sends your mail on its
> merry way.

I suggest using postfix as your MTA.  The author is a security expert
and knows his stuff.  However, it is also possibly the easiest to
configure... it mostly works out of the box.  The only thing you
should have to change is the my_* parameters and the relayhost,
which you set to your ISP's SMTP server.

Please note that you will probably have to relay through their
SMTP server if you are on a DSL or cable subnet, because compromised
home users are a big source of spam and so these netblocks are
on blacklists already.  Also, some ISPs don't trust their users
to run mail servers or mail clients and block port 25 in one
direction or another.  I would say that this is effective at
stopping spam but I wouldn't want to use one of those ISPs.
--
"Cryptography is nothing more than a mathematical framework for
discussing various paranoid delusions." -- Don Alvarez