Re: Problem in mutt editor, not in less

* Bruno Delalleau [2006.12.08 15:15]:
> I have just received the following mail (in french):
>
> "Pour vous d\351sabonner :"

This is a string encoded in iso-8859-1 (i.e.
latin1) but interpreted as utf-8.

> This message seems to indicate a weird charset:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E0?=
> (I see this using less and nothing in mutt editor).

The message probably announces its encoding in a
header of the form:

And will be visible in mutt's *pager* (there is no
such thing as a mutt *editor*) if you:

:unignore Content-Type

But what you quote is not directly the indication
of the message encoding but rather the letter
"a accent grave," in the iso-8859-1 charset and
the "Q" mime-encoding. It probably appears in the
message header, although you do not say so.

> My locale:
>
> LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> [...]

If your terminal doesn't support utf-8, you
shouldn't use that LC_CTYPE. Instead:

LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.ISO-8859-1"

As a matter of fact, the said message should
display properly if you start mutt like so:

LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.ISO-8859-1" mutt

If your terminal *does* support utf-8, then the
'charset' variable might have an incorrect value.

:set charset=utf-8

might help.

> I accept the famous RTFM, but please tell me in
> french!

RTF mutt-users-fr@xxxxxxxx

HTH,

--