OT: IMAP servers that can handle nested maildirs?

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I've been asking around in IMAP
circles fruitlessly for a while, so I thought I'd take a stab here: does
anyone know of an IMAP server that can handle nested maildirs of the
sort that mutt generates (i.e. where nesting is done via filesystem
directories rather than creating one huge directory where hierarchy is
indicated with a separator like "."), so that I can use mutt as my main
mail app but have the same mail store made available via IMAP to other
clients when I need to use them (which I sometimes do)?  I've got
literally thousands of mail folders, so using something like offlineimap
to synch the maildirs with a local IMAP server that then serves up the
mail to other clients isn't very workable, as it takes an eternity for
offlineimap to go through all of the folders and figure out which ones
need to be updated, by which time at least a few of them have already
had new mail delivered into them, and offlineimap also doesn't know how
to deal properly with new folders created in the filesystem that aren't
already on the IMAP server.  Has anyone else come up with a good solution
to this?

TIA,

Sweth.

--