Re: message preservation in composition buffer

* Russell L. Harris <rlharris@xxxxxxxxxx> [061120 03:26]:
> As things stand now, each time the file is saved, the previous version
> of the file is saved as "~/.mutt/tmp/mutt-cromwell-1000-10686-0~".
>
> But when I finish the reply and xemacs hands the file back to mutt,
> both "~/.mutt/tmp/mutt-cromwell-1000-10686-0" and
> "~/.mutt/tmp/mutt-cromwell-1000-10686-0~" are automatically deleted by
> Mutt.

Apparently I was mistaken.  I find that, having sent the previous
message, the file "~/.mutt/tmp/mutt-cromwell-1000-10686-0~" was not
deleted.  So, simply by saving the file occasionally during
composition, the problem is solved.

%%%%%

However, I remain curious, inasmuch as I am an experienced user of
xemacs, and I routinely (and almost subconsciously) save whatever file
I am editing.  I recall saving the file which I lost.  So perhaps
switching "tempdir" from the default value ("/tmp") to "~/.mutt/tmp"
has something to do with the previous file loss?

I did not reboot the machine after the file disappeared, but perhaps
whatever mechanism manages "/tmp" automatically discards files with
names ending in "~"?

RLH