message preservation in composition buffer

While composing a message several pages in length, I was interrupted
and had to exit Mutt.  When Mutt asked whether to postpone the
message, I mistakenly pressed the "n" key, and thus lost my work.

While composing the message, I had saved my work from time to time,
and I noticed that the path was of the form "/tmp/mutt-xxxx".  So, I
immediately look for the file in "/tmp", but it appears to have been
deleted by Mutt.

In an attempt to preclude the possibility of loss in the future, I set
"postpone" to "yes" (formerly it was "ask-yes").

Also, it seemed to me that it might be well to change "tmpdir" from
the default "/tmp" to "~/.mutt/tmp".

Is there a way to prevent Mutt from deleting the message file which it
receives from the editor?