Re: Making own threads in mutt.

On 2006-11-18, Mikolaj Kucharski <eth0@xxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 11:58:01AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Mikolaj Kucharski <eth0@xxxxx> [11-18-06 11:47]:
> > > I'm was playing with strict_threads, sort_re and reply_regexp but still
> > > don't know how to make threading for messages with subject like:
> > >
> > >   Case 123456789 - part of subject which can chane
> > >   Re: Case 123456789 - and here is changed
> > >   Case 123456789 - and here thread is continued
> > >
> > > I want to make above subjects in one thread but I faild. Can anyone can
> > > give me a tip how to do this? Thanks.
> >
> > I observe your desired conditions on my box and have:
> >   strict_threads unset
> > and
> >   sort_re set
>
> But it's not enough. I've attached two mbox files with unsorted and
> sorted messages. I there any way via `reply_regexp' to make aproporitate
> regex to create thread tree like in attached file?

No.  'reply_regexp' will allow you to exclude _leading_ portions of
subject lines from being considered when comparing subjects for
threading, e.g., "Re: ", "Re: Re: ", "Fwd: ", etc.  What you are
looking for is a way to also exclude _trailing_ portions--everything
after the case number--from those comparisons.  Mutt doesn't have a
mechanism to allow you to do that.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division