Re: send mails (more than one) at once

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:44:16PM +0100, Andreas Kalex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how (or with which tool) can I queue/collect mails and send them
> all at once.  I need this sometimes using a dialup
> connection, or when one or more mail is ready to send, but then I want
> to change a word or a sentence.
>
> andreas

You can run a local MTA, queuing only. Then process the queue when you
say.

Or, if you have control of a mail server on the internet set a gateway
mail server on your local machine and queue only as above, but do ETRN
from the internet MTA, as above, only when you say to.

Or have your mail server only process the queue on intervals that would
meet your needs.

Or...

There are about 50 ways to approach this, and the "best" answer depends
a lot on what you want to do. The "change a word or sentence"
requirement means you should be postponing any mail that you are not
sure about, which you can recall, edit, and send later. That isn't
something that an automated system can solve for you, ever.

Batching up to send when connected can be solved by various means like
above. About 10 years ago I ripped the connection detecting code out of
fetchmail and used it to trigger ETRN to flush mail out. Worked fine.
Somebody has probably canned something like that for general use by now.

dwchandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |