Re: mutt & /var/spool/clientmqueue

Mauro Sacchetto wrote:
> set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oi -oem -f mauro.sacchetto@xxxxxxxx"
> set sendmail_wait=-1
> Do u think is it correct?

I don't know.  I don't think that it is incorrect though.  :-)

But with sendmail_wait=-1 it should put that into the background
immediately.  There should never be a delay.  And yet you report a
delay.  Therefore I think the delay must be coming from mutt prior to
handing it to sendmail.

A disadvantage of putting sendmail into the background is that if
there is an error from sendmail then your mutt will not be able to
detect this and problems may go unnoticed.

> >There are probably two things to fix.

I was making assumptions and based upon your response here my guesses
were incorrect.

> I use Slackware 11.0. My /etc/resolv.conf is simply this one:
> search localdomain
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> where 192.168.0.1 is the address of my router.

The disadvantage of this is that when your network is offline then all
dns lookups must fail, I think by timing out.  When your network
interface it up then great.  When your network interface is down then
I think things will time out.  (Maybe on your system they will fail
quickly, I don't know.)

I am using bind9 as a local caching nameserver and the 'resolvconf'
package rewrites the forwarders as needed for active network
interfaces and nameservers.  This means that I never get a dns
timeout.  It will either work or fail quickly.

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/resolvconf

> > The other thing to fix is that normally you can only send mail to
> > valid email addresses or a bounce is generated.  What is valid?  Well,
> > if you can't look up the destination address then that would appear to
> > not be valid.  But in your case you can't be that picky when offline.
> > You will have to be content with a bounce once the network interface
> > comes online and your mail transport agent can attempt delivery of the
> > messages in the mail queue.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand very well what do u mean...
> Where I should fix what?

Because of your update that you have sendmail_wait=-1 and there is
still a delay it means my guess was wrong.  Probably there is
something in mutt that is trying to validate the recipient address.  I
don't know but perhaps someone else does know.

As to what I said above that means that there should be two different
MTA (mail transfer agent) configurations.  They should be switched
between depending on whether the network is online or not.  When the
network is online then recipient email addresses should be validated
immediately.  When the network is offline then mail should just be
queued and if the recipient does not exist when mail delivery is
attempted after the network comes online then a bounce message back to
you should be generated to let you know that your message won't be
delivered.  You can then attempt to resend it using a corrected
address if desired.

Bob