Re: Not always seeing new mail in mailboxes

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 07:53:43PM +0200, Michael Tatge wrote:
> * On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 cl@xxxxxxxx (cl@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > For some reason mutt is not now seeing new mail in all the mailboxes I
> > have listed in the mailboxes command.
>
> Is this mbox? If everything else fails you might want to switch to
> maildir.

Yes, it is mbox, but I have "changed to maildir" so many times and
then changd back becuase the disadvantages outweigh the advantages
that I don't really want to do it yet again.

> > What sort of things are likely to cause this problem?
>
> Is the fs mounted noatime? Is mutt compiled with --enable-buffy-size

It looks to me like it's a local file system.  The /home file system
is:-
    /dev/hda7 on /home type reiserfs (rw)

> > on the new system it's done with a perl script using Mail::Audit.
>
> Does it change atime or mtime?

Well it seems to change mtime as it should.

I've removed "set save_empty=no" from my muttrc and that seems to be
improving things.  It seemed to me that when a new mailbox was created
the atime and mtime were the same and mutt regarded that as 'not new
mail'.  It worked on the old system though.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx)