Re: mutt newbie question re: IMAP INBOX

On 7/6/06, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes to both questions. In IMAP, folders can contain both messages and
folders, and the most common example is the INBOX. Depending on the
server, this may be exposed as a single folder listing or as two
folders with the same name; looks like your server does the latter.

> Basically, what I would like to have happen is when I do c-?, I get
> a list of all the subfolders, just like now, but when I select the
> ../, it would go back to listing the contents of INBOX.

Heh, sorry - the thing is that according to the IMAP spec, folders do
not *have* to be subfolders of your INBOX. You can (and many people
do), for example, have a Trash folder at the same "level" in the
hierarchy as the inbox, and selecting the ../ entry is a way to view
that "level" in the folder browser, whether you have additional
non-INBOX folders in that level or not.

> Or, should I not care about this?  :)

It's probably easier to make yourself a macro for going back to your
INBOX (e.g. in a single keystroke).

~Kyle

Many thanks for all this info.  Spent the weekend with Mutt and IMAP
and everything is working great.  :)

Charles