Re: non-deletable saved folder

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 00:30:27 -0400, Kyle Wheeler sent:
>On Friday, July  7 at 02:05 PM, quoth Pete Johns:
>>On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:08:10 -0800, Jon sent:
>>>Is it possible to have 'a folder' say =saved be 100%
>>>non-deletable with the 'd' key... or 'D' key?
>>I would suggest not relying on your mail user agent for this,
>>but on your operating system.  chmod -w Mail/saved
>Well, that makes it non-editable as well.

Indeed you are correct. Generally, if I don't want to delete
a file, then I want to be very careful about editing it, too. Of
course Jon (The OP) may have different requirements, but these
were not clear from his email.

>It may be better to do something like (on linux), chattr +a
>Mail/saved

On FreeBSD this would be chflags uappnd Mail/saved . How mutt
treats a file with such a flag set is left as an exercise for the
reader.

>Then of course, there's the standard folder-hook tricks you can
>play, to make it impossible to delete messages in that folder.

There are. Sadly, folder-hook 'saved' 'set read_only' (which was
my initial thought, I must confess) will not work as it will only
affect the next mailbox to be opened.

I would recommend a solution at the operating system level,
should the user wish to access their mail (for whatever reason)
with more than one user-agent.

Best;

--paj

--