Re: blinking mutt display

On Thursday, March  2 at 06:15 AM, quoth David T-G:
Hi, all --

...and then David T-G said...
% ...
% % I have installed OpenSuSE 10.0 on a new laptop, however, and now when I
% % look at the index or a message the whole thing is blinking.  I suspect
% screen it's still fine; it's *only* under screen that I have this problem

My goodness; the silence is deafening.  Are there no ideas out there??

Blinking text tends to be an indication that you’re using the wrong termcap entry (i.e. your $TERM is set incorrectly). For example, I usually have TERM set to xterm-16color. If I set it to something like xterm-8color, or if my terminal should actually be set to “linux”, I sometimes get blinking text. It’s because most terminals do have a “blink” command, and if you’re using the wrong termcap for your terminal, sometimes the command for a particular color in the terminal indicated by $TERM will be the “blink” command for the terminal you’re actually using.

A good quick demo of this is to open up one of your linux virtual terminals and set TERM to be “rxvt”.

~Kyle
--
Time goes, you say? Ah no! Time stays, *we* go.
                                                       -- Austin Dobson