Re: mailboxes take long to open

Michael, mutt-users,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 02:13:41PM +0100, Michael Tatge wrote:
> No the latest release is 1.5.11. The website is outdated.
>
> > And where did you find 1.5.11?
> ftp.mutt.org/mutt/devel/mutt-1.5.11.tar.gz

Thanks!  I found it.  I hope whoever maintains the website
can update that link.

> > installed it, and added a "set header_cache" to my muttrc
>
> Check the docs. It's not bool. $header_cache needs a file or dir.
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual/manual-6.html#header_cache
> set header_cache=~/.mutt/cache          # header cache file/dir

Oh, yes, I realize that.  I did supply a directory argument.  However
mutt didn't recognize the variable at all without the --enable-hcache
option to configure.

> > However I get the error
> > Error in /home/volcheck/.mutt/muttrc, line 23: header_cache: unknown
> > variable
>
> Well, did you compile with --enable-hcache?

Yes, but only after Patrick told me.  Before building,
I read the README, INSTALL, and the doc directory, but there
is no mention of this option.  The manual in the doc directory
does tell of the "set header_cache = ..." command.

Where did you read about --enable-hcache ?  This is the
first time I've installed a developer version, so I'm
not familiar with what else I'm supposed to be reading.

Thanks for all the advice.  This header cache feature
has tremendously sped up starting mutt for me.  I should
thank everybody who participated in adding this feature.

In the last week or two, I've added mairix and the
header_cache feature, and both have made an enormous
improvement in my handling mail.

--Emil

--
Emil Volcheck