Re: mailboxes take long to open

* On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 Eric Dan (ericdan@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
> i have my inbox separated into 3 folders for mailing lists.
> unfortunately it takes a long time to open those mailing lists folders
> once they fill up.

You're using Maildir? Upgrade to 1.5.11 and use the header cache.

> i don't wanna move the mail to mbox because i wanna
> be able to follow the threads.

Mutt's thread display has nothing to do with the mailbox format. It
works with every mailbox format mutt supports.

> why does mutt count my roughly 2000 messages before opening the folder
> and showing the new mail?

Well it doesn't only count the messages but parse the mailbox. The
thread tree to love so much for example has to be build up from the
message headers and therefor every header has to be read.
Which is why recent dev versions have the ability to cache that header
infomation and open larger Maildir mailboxes much faster once the cache
is there.

HTH,

Michael
--
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
(Bruce Ediger, bediger@xxxxxxxxxxxx, in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces.)

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC1A44DD
Jabber:     init[0]@amessage.de