Re: Urlview and 64 bit GNU/Linux

Steve Searle wrote:
> I recently installed the 64bit version of Fedora Core 4 and when I use
> urlview to view a webpage whose link is in an email, it doesn't work.
> It allows you to select the link, but doesn't launch it in the browser.
> An identical setup (as far as I can tell), in the 32bit version of
> Fedora Core 4 does work.

I am running the 64-bit amd64 Debian Sarge mutt and urlview and
everything is working fine for me.

> Has anyone come across and solved this problem, or does anyone have any
> ideas on how to tackle it?

The urlview command reads ~/.urlview or /etc/urlview/system.urlview on
startup.  Do you have anything interesting in those file?

The urlview command by default launches url_handler.sh to launch the
action on the url.  You can test this by launching it yourself.

  url_handler.sh http://www.mutt.org

Does that launch your browser action?  If not then try debugging that
script.

  sh -x url_handler.sh http://www.mutt.org

I provide my own url_handler.sh for some custom operation on my
part.  You could override it in your ~/.urlview configuration so that
you could launch a debug script instead.  That would tell you if
urlview it calling the external launcher properly or if it is the
launcher having trouble.

My guess is that your url_handler is not launching the browser in a
way that is working for you.

Bob