Re: exit mutt with clear (screen)

On Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at  8:32, Martin Swift wrote:
> Hmmm ... when I quit mutt, the contents of mutt get cleared and I'm
> returned to the commandline
>
>   08:24:06:> /usr/bin/mutt
>   08:30:14:>

This is a function of your terminal... In mine, for example, using the
default Eterm theme, there's a Terminal menu along the top. Selecting
Terminal>Toggles>Primary/Secondary Screen allows me to switch which
one is displayed. Xterm has the same capability, if you hit
ctrl-middle click and select "altscreen". In fact, if you run mutt
from an Xterm, you'll see that "altscreen" is already selected and
deselecting it shows you your command prompt.

The less program does the same thing (annoyingly... I turned it off
when I compiled less, in fact). It's accomplished by sending a
terminal escape sequence. If you run mutt from a terminal that doesn't
support this function, such as the linux terminal, then you'll see
parts of your mail folder still on the screen when you quit mutt.

B*B,
-Smoke.