Re: Newbie question

On 11-04-2005, at 05h 41'06", Catherine K. wrote about "Newbie question"
> Ok, this is really simple, so please be kind :) I have looked on
> assorted websites and none say actually how to DO this.
>
> I have set up Mutt and Fetchmail-both seem to work just fine. Then I set
> up Postfix, and went to send myself an email to check that it is working
> properly.
>
> Mutt sent me to a VIM editor - but I couldn't figure out how to SEND the
> thing, how to tell it that I was done editing, etc. I am sure there is a
> keyboard shortcut, but I can't find the thing. All the help pages say to
> do is to *save and send it*, but they don't say HOW to do that.

Are you asking how to save in vim? Or in mutt?

Vim accept the following commands:

 :w <Enter>   -save
 :w! <Enter>  -force save
 :wq <Enter>  -save and quit
 :wq! <Enter> -force save and quit
 :x <Enter>   -save and quit
 :x! <Enter>  -force save and quit
 ZZ           -save and quit

Of course, all this has to be done in command mode, which you can
access it by pressing the <Esc> key while in insert mode.

> I happen to like Nano, not the least of which is because there is that
> nice list of shortcuts given at the bottom of the window. Would this
> show up in Mutt as well? How can I change my default editor to Nano?

I have this in my .muttrc file:

### set editor of your choice
#set editor="/usr/bin/vim"
set editor="/usr/bin/vim -c 'set ft=mail tw=70'"

Just edit that and add your editor of choice (with full path or not).

> I apprecate your help. Once I can figure this part out I will attack the
> folders issue :)
>
> Catrin

Good luck with mutt.

Ionel