Re: Outlook -> mbox -> mutt

Hello George,

 On Tuesday, September 28, 2004 at 1:42:30 PM -0700, George wrote:

> Mutt uses the Date header's date for display in the index

    That's true, by default. But it's configurable: See $index_format
and $date_format, and use "%(...)" to get From_ date.

    BTW I prefer "%[...]" in index, that's the sender's "Date:"
normalized to your local timezone.

> Should rewrite the mboxes again, this time with a 'From' line that
> contains the same date that appears in the Date header.

    No: You would lose /date-received/ info, usefull for sorting,
searching, limiting, displaying, and so on. Overwriting this info with
/date-sent/ is not wise.

    If you had lost this info, it would probably have been better to
reconstruct it not from "Date:", but from the first "Received:" header.
I believe MSOE uses just that, by default: More confidence in clock of
last MTA than of sender's host.

> Does it really matter whether the 'From' is left blank, or would it be
> good form to add that in by extracting the address that appears in the
> actual From header?

    Best is put in From_ the enveloppe sender, if available (perhaps in
"Return-Path:", or sometimes other headers).

    Otherwise, if not available, you're free. Hum... Duplicating "From:"
addy may seem doubly redundant again repeating. And difficult to do
cleanly in corner cases (what about invalid "From:"?).

    I like to put there an origin tag: Which PST file (or POP3 account)
message comes from.

Bye!    Alain.