Thread colors

My version of mutt is the standard Gentoo version, built against
Slang.  Is there something about this Slang version that keeps me from
being able to determine the color of the thread tree?

Every other interface element seems to take color attributes properly,
but the thread tree takes on the color of the line of text that it
occupies.  (This means that if I set a certain pattern to a different
color in the index, the thread tree changes color for that line, too.)

If, in fact, this shortcoming is caused by using Slang, are there
Gentoo users who know a way to get mutt built against curses while
still having the thing controlled by portage?

Best,
Matt
--

Matthew M Davis