Re: can ~/.signature deal more than one signature?

thank you for such a explicit reply.
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:29:37AM -0400, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 05:24:09AM EDT, bing yu wrote:
>
> > hi, maybe this question is addressed quite often,but i still need help
> > scince i can not find answer by google.
>
> "This question" is actually three questions, only two of which have
> anything to do with Mutt, but no matter. . .
i'd better solve these porble one by one.
> > usually in my .muttrc: set signature="fortune|"   but i want creat my own.
>
> The filename "fortune|" tells Mutt "instead of reading a real file, just
> run the command 'fortune' and use its output as if it were the file."
> The "fortune" program (which gets called by your shell when Mutt gives it
> the "fortune" command (see $PATH)) has its own (very simple) conventions
> about parsing fortune files, and by issuing "fortune -f" you'll be able
> to find the files it looks in by default.  You can add your own database
> (say, muttsigs) with random Mutt signatures (look at an existing one
> for the format), and then use "set signature='fortune muttsigs|'" in
> your RC setup.

root@SIM:/usr/share/games/fortunes# ls
fortunes      fortunes.dat      literature      riddles
fortunes.bak  fortunes.dat.bak  literature.dat  riddles.dat

i want learn how to creat my own fortune category by modifying the existing
ones.   ~/.muttrc: "set signature="fortune fortunes|""    # by this way i
don't care about literature and riddles category.

i made a copy of the original fortunes and then delete all but two items
in fortunes, it reads

---------fortunes begin -------------
A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?
%
A few hours grace before the madness begins again.
%

now i run root@SIM:/usr/share/games/fortunes# fortune fortunes
root@SIM:/usr/share/games/fortunes#
it output nothing. (before i modified this file, it can print somthing
in fortunes file)

by now ,i cannot figure out where is the problem. i wild guess is
fortunes.dat does anybody on this list can give me any hint?