Exchange Server/MAPI and mutt -- any progress?

It's been about a year since the issue of connecting to an MS Exchange
server with MAPI was last discussed on this list:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-users&m=105208389426250&w=2

At the time, there was apparently no way to connect with mutt unless the
server supported IMAP.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any progress on this issue. I am stuck
with MS Exchange at work and would love to use something other than the
terrible Exchange webmail interface.  I know about Evolution Connector,
but I'm not all that crazy about Evolution either.

Thanks for any tips or URLs...
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org