getting mutt + ssmtp + ssl port 465 to work

Is anyone running ssmtp from within mutt, connecting to their isp
using ssl on the alternate port and stunnel? That is my setup, but
whenever to try to send mail I get "Authentication failure". I know it
is possible because I can connect with the exact same settings from
Eudora in Windows, so I don't think the problem is on my isp's side.
I've double, triple and fourple-checked, and I'm using the same port,
user name and password. In fact, I've got the same setup working with
stunnel and getmail, and that works fine.

In .muttrc I have:
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -auusername tom.haller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-appassword xxx"

I've also tried:
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -auusername tom.haller -appassword xxx"

I run this script to set up ssl:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/stunnel -c -d 8110 -r ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net:995
/usr/sbin/stunnel -c -d 25 -r imailhost.worldnet.att.net:465

In ssmtp.conf I have:

mailhub=localhost

In mail.err I get this:

sSMTP[401]: Authorization failed (535 Authentication failure)

If anyone has any ideas, I would be extremely grateful. As it is I can
receive mail in Mutt, but cannot send. :( I am running Debian 3.0,
kernel 2.4.something, with iptables, with connection tracking enabled.

Tom