".<CR><LF>" in mailbody terminates sending of mail

Hello list.

I don't know if this is a bug or some featurette. I noticed an e-mail
was borken after delivery but correctly saved in my local ~/Mail/sent
Maildir folder.

I found out it was because of a ".<CR><LF><CR><LF>" within the
message (typo). Everything after that wasn't sent since it obviously
brought the smtp session to an end. Problem is that there is no info
to the user (how could there be!).

My question is whether it is a known bug in mutt, one in my MTA or
just an issue to Know And Avoid.

The .<CR><LF><CR><LF> in the message body should be escaped when
passing it to sendmail.

I use FreeBSD 4.9, Mutt 1.4.1i from the FreeBSD ports collection and
postfix v2.0.14.

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany,

Carsten

--