folder-hook using default in every case

I've run across an issue using folder hooks that I wasn't able to
resolve via seaching google and the mutt-users archive (however, I only
went back to mid-2002).

I've defined the following hooks for mutt 1.4.1:

unhook folder-hook

folder-hook . 'set sort=threads'
folder-hook . 'set sort_aux=date-received'
folder-hook . 'set digest_collapse'
folder-hook . 'set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15F (%?l?%4l&%4c?) %s"'
folder-hook . push <collapse-all>
folder-hook . push 'D~=\n'
folder-hook . push 'D~s unsubscribe\n'

folder-hook =sent_mail 'set sort=date-sent'
folder-hook =sent_mail 'set sort_aux=size'
folder-hook =sent_mail 'set index_format="%4C %{%b %d} %-15.15t (%?l?%4l&%4c?)
%s"'

folder-hook =junk-mail push 'D~A\n'

folder-hook =admin 'unset digest_collapse'

I've run across messages in the archive that indicate that push commands
get executed in reverse order.  However, the issue that I'm seeing is
that only the default matches are in effect, including those that set
variables.

I've tested the other hooks by commenting out the default hooks and
restarting mutt.  The hooks are executed when I expect them to be, but
never reset, due to a lack of a default hook.

I've tried a number of approaches, including shifting the order of hooks
and trying various regular expressions for the non-default hooks.

Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks for the help.

Greg