Re: Advanced alternates regexp

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:29:25AM +0000, Andy Repton wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to set my alternates regexp properly. I
> have my own domain, and freely generate email addresses for various
> purposes, especially web site registrations etc. So my ideal alternates
> regexp would be .*@mydomain.
>
> The only problem is that there are also a few email addresses at my
> domain that are used by others. So what I really want is an alternates
> regexp that matches everything except fred|betty|joe etc
>
> Does anyone know how to do this? I've tried putting ! in front of the
> regexp but it doesn't appear to work.

I might be wrong, but from reading of manual.txt it appears that Regular
Expression and Pattern are different things. All those ~f ~t ! etc are allowed
in Patterns but won't be understood by Regular Expressions. According to
manual.txt 'alternates' takes as argument Regular Expression. And normal rules
for regular expressions can't say "don't match". So I would say that your case
is hopeless. As workaround you may use some common part in all your email
addresses that would distinguish you from others.

--
Andrei