Re: [Mutt] #3460: view-attachments menu "view-attach" command uses auto_view for all text attachments, even when a suitable interactive command is in the mailcap file. This is particularly bad for text/html attachments.

#3460: view-attachments menu "view-attach" command uses auto_view for all text
attachments, even when a suitable interactive command is in the mailcap
file.  This is particularly bad for text/html attachments.
------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  ajschorr                                  |       Owner:  mutt-dev
     Type:  defect                                    |      Status:  new

Comment(by ajschorr):

 I will try rebinding <Return> to view-mailcap to see if that solves my
 problems.  But no, as we both probably understand, I am not suggesting an
 infinite loop.  If they both fail, of course
 one would return an error.  The code snippet that disturbs me is here in
 mutt_view_attachment:

   if (use_mailcap)
   {
     entry = rfc1524_new_entry ();
     if (!rfc1524_mailcap_lookup (a, type, entry, 0))
     {
       if (flag == M_REGULAR)
       {
         /* fallback to view as text */
         rfc1524_free_entry (&entry);
         mutt_error _("No matching mailcap entry found.  Viewing as
 text.");
         flag = M_AS_TEXT;
         use_mailcap = 0;
       }
       else
         goto return_error;
     }
   }

 When the flag is set to M_MAILCAP (as it is in the view-mailcap mode),
 then it throws
 an error if rfc1524_mailcap_lookup fails.  By contrast, the view-attach
 mode falls back
 to viewing as text.  So by calling view-mailcap, we lose this fallback
 text mode behavior.

 I will see whether this turns out to be a problem in practice.

 Regards,
 Andy

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3460#comment:8>