Re: mutt not reading header_cache during startup.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Antonio Radici <antonio@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 05:45:33PM +0530, Manish Katiyar wrote:
>> Thanks Antonio,
>>
>> I will try that. If I have to compile then what all config option
>> should I enable ?
>
> 1) set the source repository to karmic
> 2) apt-get source mutt
> 3) cd mutt-1.5.20-4
> 4) dpkg-buildpackage
>
> it will do everything and save the built package on ..
>
> pleaes let me know if you have any problems.

Hi Antonio,

Even after using 1.5.20, nothing has changed for me. I have uploaded
the debug logs with -d3 option at
http://mkatiyar.110mb.com/muttdebug0_1.5.20.tar.gz . After reading all
the headers it fails with "Error opening mailbox" and if I retry it
again downloads all the headers.

I also got below response from mutt-users mailling list by Kyle.

For whatever reason, Gmail doesn't like it when people attempt to pull
down lots of headers (which is precisely what mutt does). So, after a
certain number (I don't know how many), it simply refuses to continue
and sends a response saying, essentially, "your command has failed".

Now, mutt can handle this several different ways. The way mutt
currently handles it is by assuming that failed commands cannot be
trusted even a little bit, so any headers transferred by the failed
command are considered "unlikely to be accurate", and are thus
ignored.

I think you can make a valid argument that this isn't good behavior on
mutt's part (as such, take it up with mutt-dev), but it seems to me
that this is simply an attempt to work around yet more gmail IMAP
idiocy (see the list archives for all the various issues people have
with gmail's truly awful IMAP implementation).

/home/mkatiyar> mutt -v
mutt: /usr/lib/libidn.so.11: no version information available (required by mutt)
Mutt 1.5.20 (2009-06-14)
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.31-rc7 (i686)
ncurses: ncurses 5.7.20090207 (compiled with 5.7)
libidn: 1.10 (compiled with 1.15)
hcache backend: GDBM version 1.8.3. 10/15/2002 (built Nov  5 2008 02:36:47)
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
+DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  +USE_SMTP
-USE_SSL_OPENSSL  +USE_SSL_GNUTLS  +USE_SASL  +USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  +CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +COMPRESSED  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS
+HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  +USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please visit http://bugs.mutt.org/.

patch-1.5.13.cd.ifdef.2

Looks like mutt & gmail don't go well together :-( , and my chances of
using mutt are fading away.

Thanks -
Manish

--