Re: [Mutt] #1317: wish $edit_charset

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:20:56AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2009-07-06 13:43:28 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 07:32:18PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

[adding back in the attribution that I mistakenly squashed]
On Mon, Jul 06 at some time or other, Kenny Thomas said:

> > > I don't see why it will break (prove it!). This is not because some
> > > character cannot be displayed that it cannot be handled internally.
> >
> > s/display/use/.
>
> I've said *displayed*.

Yes you did... but Kenny wrote *display*.  See the text I wrote?  It
says *display*, not displayed.

> If you're so stupid to change my words, that's not surprising you
> find things broken.

I was changing Kenny's words -- not yours -- to properly reflect that
the problem is not only a display problem.  For you to solve your
problem universally (i.e. across all possible applications where you
may run into this issue) the way you are trying to, every application needs
to be character-set-aware.  This is very obviously a monumental waste
of effort.  Unicode was created exactly in response to the problem of people
trying to solve the character set interoperability problem in exactly
that incredibly brain-damaged way.  Unicode has subsequently been
adopted by *every major computer operating system* because it is so
clearly the only sane solution to the problem.

One man stands, unwavering, and unthinking,  to stem the tide of
progress, to root us in the dark ages, to witness all speaking in
tongues; an immovable force, the Juggernaut: Vincent Lefevre.

-=-=-=-=-