Re: Features like Sup

On 06Jul2009 05:52, Noah Slater <nslater@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I'm an enthusiastic mutt user,

Me too, but I've never used Sup.

| but Sup interests me for two reasons:
|   * Thread centred message listing,

How different from mutt's threads?

| views,

Search results as a folder? Mairix is the usually mutt approach for this
one, at least for me. I have a wrapper script to do a mairix search,
open the results folder in mutt, discard later. It's be easy to add a
mutt macro to initialiate the invocation of that, or to cache such
invocations for ready reuse (thus getting views).

| and tagging

I "tag" (crudely) by saving the same message to multiple folders, so
certain folders are tags (like labels are folders for GMail, sort of).

|   * Bulit-in, and advanced, search features

While mutt's in-folder search is fairly flexible, isn't it better to
use an external program for advanced search? That lets you choose the
advanced tool of your choice, an doesn't force people to use mutt were it
the "advanced search". Returning to my own setup, mairix is my advanced
search (which I underutilise).

| It's a shame Sup's author didn't work with mutt to get these features working.
| Is the mutt development team interested in developing something similar?

Can you flesh out a little more detail? Many needs are already met by
external tools to a greater or lesser degree and personally, I prefer
"easy to invoke" over "integrated", since the latter tends to result in
difficuties using the other tools outside the main app.

Disclaimer: not a developer!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

When it gets down to the nitty-gritty of making your bike run well at a
particular place and time, the owner's manual may not be very helpful.
        - Carl Shipman, "Motorcycle Tuning for Performance"  1973 2nd ed.