Re: fadvise WILLNEED for tokyocabinet header cache

On Tuesday, June 23 at 08:21 PM, quoth Rocco Rutte:
So the only real issue is when the FS isn't accurate about the times for the directory.

Yeah... Of course filesystem problems are always an issue, but I guess my thought is: for just about all filesystems, keeping track of a "last modified" timestamp isn't a big deal since a modification involves a write anyways. So, I would think that directory modification timestamps would be relatively reliable across multiple filesystems and platforms (though I have no actual data to back that up, of course).

for enormous cached maildirs it'd provide a big win (for efficiency, you'd probably want an update-able cache, rather than an append-only cache, but that's true in general).

The cache is updateable for some time now (weeks I think).

That got pushed? Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused then. I still have this in my mh.c; is it out-of-date?

    #if USE_HCACHE
        if (ctx->magic == M_MAILDIR)
            mutt_hcache_store (hc, ctx->hdrs[i]->path + 3,
            ctx->hdrs[i], 0, &maildir_hcache_keylen);
        else if (ctx->magic == M_MH)
            mutt_hcache_store (hc, ctx->hdrs[i]->path, ctx->hdrs[i],
            0, strlen);
    #endif

~Kyle
--
I am not myself apt to be alarmed at innovations recommended by reason. That dread belongs to those whose interests or prejudices shrink from the advance of truth and science.
                             -- Thomas Jefferson to John Manners, 1814