Re: [Mutt] #2995: Mutt is folding subject line folds using a tab,

#2995: Mutt is folding subject line folds using a tab, which appears to be
against
RFC 2822
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  frnkblk  |       Owner:  pdmef
      Type:  defect   |      Status:  started
 Component:  mutt     |     Version:  1.5.17
Resolution:           |    Keywords:  header folding white-space
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by pdmef):

 Looking at it again, the only things requiring a display/send mode
 distinction are:

  * Tabs. For display, given the current column we need to determine where
 \t would end. For sending, we can just go with a byte per tab for line
 width computation. This is harmless as a too high line length for the
 sending case makes us wrap too early, not too late.

  * Spaces. For display, we probably want locale aware iswspace() instead
 of just testing for space or tab. For sending, any multibyte space is
 RFC2047-encoded already. (I frequently receive messages with braindead
 subjects that end in non-breaking space(s)). This is harmless, too, I
 think since the majority of header should either contain space or tab for
 separating words.

 Are there more cases I miss?

 Because it'd take some time to trace code paths to say whether a call is
 for display or for sending, I think it's better to ignore these two issues
 for now, back the change by thorough unit tests and do it right later on.

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2995#comment:30>
Mutt <http://www.mutt.org/>